The history of man’s relationship with this territory begins around fifty-thousand years ago, when Neanderthal groups frequented the area around Cetona. Its caves provided a safe haven and an ideal base for hunting. The arrival of Neolithic man gave life to villages located in areas suited to cultivation and breeding. Over the course of the Copper Age, and especially by the subsequent Bronze Age, the territory of Cetona appears to have been subjected to more widespread forms of habitation. A particular concentration of evidence has been discovered in the Belverde area, on the eastern side of Mount Cetona, where a large group of herdsmen-farmers settled for almost the entire span of the second millennium BC. There is evidence of artisan products, the economic system and trading activities within this thriving community, as well as the main spiritual demonstrations, numerous traces of which are preserved in the natural caves in the area. At the end of the second millennium BC, the areas which were previously inhabited were slowly and gradually depopulated, with the founding of settlements at higher altitudes. With the Iron Age, life returned to the valleys, towards the natural communication routes. At Cancelli, along the road that crosses the ridge of the mountain, a rural centre was founded, remaining active through the seventh and sixth centuries BC. In the sixth century BC, a prosperous settlement was established near Camporsevoli, active until the period of “romanisation”. During the Roman occupation the territory was exploited through the construction of rural villas and the Via Cassia road running through the fertile valley of Cetona. In later times, with the plain growing increasingly waterlogged, the ridge path fell into routine use once more; it is presumed to have become one of the alternative routes to the Via Francigena. The castle of Cetona was first documented in the early thirteenth century as the property of Count Ildebrandino, subject to the sovereignty of Orvieto. Disputed by Siena, Perugia and Orvieto for many years, in 1418 it was occupied by the mercenary captain Braccio da Montone and, in the same year, it was surrendered to the Republic of Siena. In 1455 it fell into the hands of Jacopo di Niccolò Piccinino and his troops, who caused serious damage to the village. When it was reclaimed by Siena the walls were fortified and sturdy circular towers were built. Cetona remained faithful to Siena until the epilogue of the Franco-Spanish war that marked the transition to Medici rule. In 1558 Cosimo I gave Cetona in fief to the Marquis Chiappino Vitelli. He initiated a long period of stability, marked by significant urban interventions. In 1777, Cetona was merged with the community of Sarteano, becoming autonomous again under French administration in 1809. During the period of Italian unification, in 1849 and in 1867, the village hosted Giuseppe Garibaldi, to whom the main square was later dedicated. Piazze dates back to the sixteenth century; its origins are tied to the history of the fief of Camporsevoli, documented since the thirteenth century as a territory belonging to the Diocese of Chiusi. The village was subject to the protection of Orvieto during the last decade of the thirteenth century, after which it entered the area of conflict between Perugia and Siena. At the end of the fourteenth century, Camporsevoli became the dominion of the counts of Corbara. In 1462 Pius II bequeathed the vicariate of Camporsevoli to his grandchildren, Giacomo and Andrea and their heirs who retained it until the early seventeenth century when it passed under the influence of the Medici family. The estate was sold, first in part and then fully in 1630, to the Florentine noble, Niccolo Giugni. With the Napoleonic suppression of the fiefs in the early nineteenth century, Camporsevoli, along with Piazze, became part of the municipality of Cetona following a brief period of consolidation with San Casciano dei Bagni.